We’re Busy Practicing the 3 R’s! The HealthBarn USA kids have taken Reduce, Reuse and Recycle to a whole new level by doing, not by talking! While each week at camp has a different theme, practicing our 3 R’s is a common thread that weaves all the weeks together. Bringing awareness to our “use or misuse” of valuable resources is a wonderful opportunity to learn how-to practice conservation in our daily lives.
It’s important to share this practical information about the 3 R’s with our families so we can all make the planet a healthier and happier place.
- Create Less Garbage: Ask the question, “do I really need this game, outfit, or other stuff?” before making a purchase. We got a refresher course on wanting and needing and now we share games with our friends, instead of getting new ones.
- Use Paper Goods Wisely: Campers were using 5 sheets of paper towels per person to dry their hands throughout the day which resulted in more than 5 paper towel rolls a day. I immediately introduced the concept of one sheet per camper and we all watched this practical TedxTalks video on proper paper towel use… the kids were shaking and folding in no time!
- Hand Me Downs Are Cool. Have each family member go through their closet to create a pile of “stuff” that they are willing to trade. Make it a fun event with a moderator and invite friends to participate, too — it’s better than eBay!
- Establish A Recycling Center. This is a fun family activity that gets everyone involved. Visit your local recycling center to find out how the recyclable stuff needs to be sorted! Get everyone involved in setting up different stations in the kitchen, garage and/or backyard and assign each family member a trash duty to protect the planet!
- Take Back the Tap. Water and other beverage bottles are big problems for landfills! Buy a Brita water filter for your home water supply and drink up.
- Turn Garbage into Art: Raid the recycling bins as a family project and create new structures such as a milk container turned into a birdhouse or a “story” told through using a variety of different materials. Step into your creativity and let the fun begin.
- Create Black Gold! Composting is a hot trend among HealthBarn USA families! By eating less of the packaged stuff, there is an abundance of fruit and vegetable scraps perfect for a compost pile. Most towns are offering bins at a reduced cost or start a pile in your own backyard for next year’s garden.
Practice the 3 R’s in your home today! Share your reduce, reuse and recycle ideas.
– Stacey Antine, MS, RD, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, co-host, Family Food Expert Internet Radio Show, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.
What puzzles you about keeping your family healthy? Tell us what’s on your mind by emailing [email protected]. Stacey will answer those questions here weekly.