“We love the Chocolate Chickpea Chipper recipe!!! Looking forward to making them for our on the go SNACKS!!!-:), The Best Family”
Chocolate Chickpea Chippers
We know what you’re thinking – cookies made with chickpeas? But these cookies are a delicious, healthy alternative to traditional chocolate chip cookies without sacrificing any flavor! Including these beans is a great way to add extra protein and dietary fiber to the family diet. Try using raisins in place of chocolate chips for an added twist and boost of iron.
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
½ cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
¾ cup low sodium canned chickpeas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Combine oats, flour, flaxseeds, baking soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and applesauce until smooth. Add mashed chickpeas, egg, and vanilla to applesauce mixture and combine.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients in small batches, mixing thoroughly. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using rounded tablespoons, drop cookies onto greased baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly for 1-2 minutes and then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Once cool, enjoy right away or store in airtight container at room temperature up to 4 days, or freeze up to 1 month.
Makes 15 servings (2 cookies per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 130 calories; 3g fat (1g sat fat, 1g mono, 1g poly, 0 g trans fats); 10 mg cholesterol; 24g carbohydrate (3g fiber, 11g sugar); 4g protein; 60mg sodium; 2% Daily Value (DV) calcium; 6% DV iron.
What’s your favorite chickpea recipe?
– Stacey Antine, MS, RD, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, co-host, Family Food Expert Internet Radio Show, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.