It’s a New Year and It’s All About Doing More Good Things! At HealthBarn USA our #1 priority is teaching children and families how-to live a healthy-lifestyle through a fun, hands-on experience. No matter where you are in your journey to be healthy, now is the time to embrace new concepts and put them into practice. I put together my top action items to keep it simple and to help your family have fun and be healthy in 2014 and beyond!
- Be Positive: Keep a positive attitude about new ideas and smile everyday!
- Eat Fresh Food: Buying fresh food (including frozen veggies) will naturally keep you away from highly processed “boxed” food and cut down on your grocery time by minimizing your food label reading time!
- Cook at Home: Moms “in the know” are cooking with their kids and sharing simple and fun recipes with family and friends.
- Grow Food: The best way to appreciate food is by getting your hands dirty. Don’t be overwhelmed with a vegetable garden, start simply by planting a windowsill herb garden and snipping away while cooking.
- Play: What’s your favorite way to play? Dance, yoga, taking a walk to clear your head, hoola hoop, … go for it everyday!
- Be Down to Earth: Look for ways to conserve energy (simply switch your light bulbs or water when brushing your teeth!) at home to help protect our precious planet — she needs help!
- Eat Meals as a Family: Focus on sitting at the table and participating in spirited conversations with your family while turning off the TV, phone and iphone… it’s amazing how much you will learn about each other.
- Be of Service: Lend a helping hand to a neighbor, a friend or to an organization or cause that you are passionate about. Just simply smiling with a stranger will brighten her day!
These healthy-lifestyle action items are like seedlings that will bring BIG rewards, so get started and see how you and your family will sprout in 2014!
What are your action items for the New Year?
Stacey Antine, MS, RD, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, co-host, Family Food Expert Internet Radio Show, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.