HealthBarn USA founder, Stacey Antine was back at News 12 New Jersey, Edison, NJ for another fun and informative 12 To Your Health segment with Dr. Derrick DaSilva. With the cold and flu season in full swing, there are specific foods that you can incorporate into your diet to keep your immune system in fighting shape! Stacey’s top picks are:
Antioxidant Power Foods:
1) Whole Grains: Oats and Quinoa
2) Berries: blueberries (her favorite), strawberries and raspberries
3) Green tea (3 cups a day)
4) Sweet Potatoes (high in beta carotene which convert to vitamin A in the body and is an antioxidant vitamin)
5) Almonds (high in vitamin E, an antioxidant vitamin), a handful of raw almonds a day is the right amount!
6) Kiwi & Oranges (high in vitamin C, an antioxidant vitamin) — and you can eat the skin of the kiwi, high in fiber and other nutrients!
7) Bell Peppers (high in vitmain C) — eat raw or cooked.
Live and Active Cultures (probiotics):
8) Yogurt (great to keep your gut and intestines squeaky clean)
Super Plant Compounds that fight infection and bacteria:
9) Garlic (2 cloves of raw are best!)
10) Ginger (simmer sliced ginger in a pot of hot water or chop raw and add to stir-fry recipes or other cooked dishes)
11) Mushrooms (increase white blood cells to fight infection) — shiitake are #1.
Bonus: Stacey recommends an a.m. cleanse to clear out your system first thing in the morning — 1/2 lemon and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper (to kick start your metabolism) in a cup of warm water!
The segment originally aired the weekend of Saturday 12/24 and Sunday 12/25.
Check it out and please share what you do to boost your immune system — we want to know!