Berry season is upon us, and the campers at HealthBarn USA can’t get enough of those sweet-tart little fruits, whether it’s a strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, or blackberry. The berries will be gone in a couple of short months, but until then, we’ll put berries on everything!
Moms are thrilled that we created a fresh delicious raspberry fruit spread without preservatives and added processed sugars. The secret ingredient is hemp seeds that add a crunchy texture to this spread and a boost of protein, fiber and omega 3 fatty acids, the healthy fats that are good for the brain and the heart. This spread makes a great topping for yogurt, ice cream and nut butters.
Time: 10 minutes for prep and 30 minutes to chill in the refrigerator.
¼ cup coconut water
½ cup dried dates, chopped
1 teaspoon mint leaves, chopped
2 cups raspberries, divided
2 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Adult Prep: Monitor use of the blender.
- Place coconut water, dates and mint leaves in blender and blend on high speed for about 20-40 seconds until dates are broken up into a light paste.
- Add 1 cup raspberries and hemp seeds in the blender and pulse on low speed just a few times until the raspberries break up (it must be low speed or it will puree the raspberries).
- Add remaining cup of raspberries and lemon juice and pulse just a few times.
- Transfer mixture to a glass container with a tight lid and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving (you can keep the raspberry fruit spread in refrigerator for up to 3 days).
Makes 16 servings (1 tablespoon per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 35 calories; 0.5g fat; 0mg cholesterol; 7g carbohydrate (1g fiber, 5g sugar); 1g protein; 5mg sodium; 8% DV vitamin C; 2% DV iron.
– Stacey Antine, MS, RD, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, co-host, Family Food Expert Internet Radio Show, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA
A healthy lifestyle isn’t all about food: keeping kids active and fostering their creativity is essential for healthy development, too! In this blog, I’ll be sharing weekly activity ideas for families to do together.