A traditional garden may be outside, in the ground, but at HealthBarn USA, we love to get creative with planting! We’ve shared activities about making eggshell planters and newspaper planters, and now we wanted to show you how to make tin can planters. Place them in windowsills to get plenty of sunlight. They’ll not only serve as planters, but great decoration too!
Time: 15-20 minutes.
- Tin can
- Acrylic paint
- Googly eyes
- Any other decorative arts and crafts materials
- Potting soil
- Grass, herb, or lettuce seeds
Adult Prep: Help kids thoroughly clean recycled cans.
- Decorate clean cans however you like: draw a face, draw a picture, or paint a pattern.
- Fill the can about ¾ of the way with potting soil.
- Sprinkle a few seeds onto the soil, then cover with more soil, almost to the top.
- Water your seeds every few days and keep the planters in a well-lit place. Enjoy your greens when they grow!
– Stacey Antine, MS, RD, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, co-host, Family Food Expert Internet Radio Show, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.
A healthy lifestyle isn’t all about food: keeping kids active and fostering their creativity is essential for healthy development, too! In this blog, I’ll be sharing weekly activity ideas for families to do together.