Chef Table 9/15: Japanese Fine Dining and Tea CeremonyDate/Time
Date(s) - 09/15/2017
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
HealthBarn USA Main Location
HealthBarn USA proudly presents Chef Table Event: Japanese Fine Dining and Tea Ceremony featuring Michiko Tomioka, culinary registered dietitian, Friday 9/15, 2017 from 6:30 – 9:00 pm to celebrate the Harvest Moon Festival. Partial proceeds are donated to Healing Meals, a nutrition food gifting program for families with ill children and seniors in need.
You and your guest don’t have to travel to Japan to celebrate Otukimi chyakai (Harvest Moon festival). Come join this celebration of the harvest and nature by delighting your taste buds with traditional Japanese cuisine and tea ceremony under the full moon! Michiko teamed up with Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, founder of HealthBarn USA design this amazing menu including: uni, salmon, tofu, ikura, ohitashi, Tukimi dango (rick cakes with Azuki beans) and more! Michiko will also demonstrate the cooking techniques behind these nutrient dense traditional dishes.
The festival originated about 8 to 9th century when people enjoyed the harvest moon with poetry (waka, haiku), foods, tea, and sake. We will share and admire the night of beauty of simplicity of Japanese culture here in New Jersey.
What’s on the Menu:
- Specially designed menu of 5-8 courses of traditional Japanese delicacies and macha tea ceremony;
- Recipes will be distributed with nutritional analyses so you can make them at home.
- **Dietary restrictions can be accommodated.
- Come solo, with friends or your partner — all are welcome!
- Space is limited to 16 spots maximum, so reserve today.
- Tickets are $75 per person and must be purchased in advance by reserving your space. Click here to buy tickets online or call 201-444-2955 or email [email protected]. *A portion of the proceeds will be donated to 501c3 HealthBarn Foundation’s Healing Meals, a nutritious food gifting program for children with cancer and their families and seniors in need.
Where Are You Dining:
- HealthBarn USA located in the stone house at 1057 Hillcrest Road, Ridgewood, NJ within the Irene Habernickel Family Park, come enjoy the comfort of a “zen” environment in a space that feels like home!
Michiko Tomioka, RDN: Born and raised in Japan, Michiko is a registered dietitian who promotes healthy lifestyles through cooking fun and tasty dishes. She started cooking at the age of three and believes food is a gift from God filled with spiritual power. Currently Michiko is a Nutrition Care Manager with Flik Life Styles working as a nutrition consultant, clinical dietitian, and hosts cooking events at a nursing home in NJ. Michiko lives in Demarest with her family and she spends her spare time running, traveling, and cooking for her cat.
More About HealthBarn USA: A proven leader of healthy-lifestyle education for children and their families for more than ten years, through kids’ classes, field trips and summer camp and through Stacey Antine, our founder’s cookbook, Appetite for Life, HarperOne. At elementary and middle school “Try it, you’ll like it!” school assemblies from New York to California; in national appearances such as the Rachael Ray Show and CNN’s House Call with Sanjay Gupta and on networks like PBS and Nickelodeon; speaking engagements from parent teacher organizations to major medical conventions; and through our website, columns and articles, we have been committed to helping families raise their nutrition literacy through hands-on learning about where our food comes from, and why fresh tastes best and is best for our bodies, minds and souls.