It’s Time to Enjoy the Great Outdoors! It’s super sunny and bright outside
which means it’s time to shut off the TV, to stop texting and to venture out of the backyard to get connected with trees, birds, worms and so much more! Explore open space right in your own state, county or town. Here’s how to get started on your next natural frontier with family and friends:
- Mark the Calendar. Schedule play dates with nature by getting them on the calendar when everyone (pets, too!) is available and then, start the research!
- Get Goggling. Type in Department of Parks for your location of interest and click away — we guarantee you will be surprised by what you find.
- Variety Cures Boredom. Each weekend can bring a new adventure by visiting the local zoo, hike a new path, bike ride as a family and pack a fun, nutritious picnic at the local park. Splurge by camping overnight!
- Go Strawberry Picking. Visit a local farm that offers the public the opportunity to pick their own strawberries (or other seasonal fruit/vegetable in your location) which are coming into season in NJ soon.
- Start an Organic Garden. Growing your own food doesn’t have to be complicated! Start in pots or a raised bed with organic soil and mulch and high quality seeds or seedlings and you will be outside tending to your garden everyday! Go crazy and start composting which kids love to take part in and makes nature smile!
- Bring the Binoculars. Sitting still is a new concept for many of us in our 24/7 lifestyles, but if you just rest, take in the sites, you will be amazed to watch nature at work or it may be a great opportunity to take a much needed snooze.
- Keep a Journal. We love to create journals of our experiences at the Barn. Everyone can participate in drawing, writing or adding stickers of what was observed! And, don’t forget the camera. Post your entries and photos on HealthBarn USA’s Facebook fan page or tag us @healthbarnusa on Instagram to inspire others!
What’s your favorite way to spend time in nature?
– Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.