Go Fresh, It’s Best!
Veggies are everywhere! This is my favorite time of year because
everywhere I look there are fresh, local fruits and vegetables just waiting to be picked (and cooked of course!). When I visit our garden it’s so fun to discover what’s ready to be the “pick of the day”, but also while driving locally or spending time with my parents in Rhode Island, I just can’t resist visiting a pick-your-own farm for berries or peaches or stopping by local farmers’ markets!
The best part of picking for me is chopping and eating these tender gifts from Mother Nature raw! It’s also fun to add these deliciously nutritious veggies to your favorite dish such as risotto, pasta or toppings for grilled pizza. You can taste the difference with your very first bite!
Here are my top 10 pick’s for the month of August:
1) Zucchini and Butternut Squash
2) Tomatoes (so many varieties to choose from)3) Snap Peas
4) Green Beans
5) Cucumbers (for salads & pickling)
6) Leafy Greens (spinach, chard, kale)
7) Berries (raspberries, blueberries and blackberries)
9) Crunchy Bell Peppers
10) Basil (for a delish Caprese Salad or Pesto!)
Share your favorite summer veggie pick and recipe!
– Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.