What’s better than going apple picking and grabbing a couple of apple cider donuts at the orchard? Making your own baked Apple Spice Donuts at home! Made with whole-wheat flour and applesauce made from 100% apples, these sweet fall treats are baked in the oven and taste amazing with a mug of tea or a tall glass of milk. Plus, they bake in just 10 minutes! This is an easy dessert, low in fat, good source of protein and iron, for a crisp autumn afternoon.
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup low-fat (1%) milk
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease mini donut baking pans.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, flaxseeds, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together applesauce, milk, brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture to apple mixture and stir until smooth.
- Spoon batter by heaping tablespoons into mini donut pan.
- Bake donuts for 9-10 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow donuts to cool before removing from pan. Remove donuts from the pan and dust all donuts with confectioners’ sugar.
Makes 9 servings (2 donuts per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 170 calories; 1.5g fat (0g sat fat, 0.5g mono, 1g poly, 0g trans fats); 20mg cholesterol; 36g carbohydrate (2g fiber, 19g sugar); 4g protein; 190mg sodium; 2% Daily Value (DV) vitamin A; 6% DV calcium; 10% DV iron.
– Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.