Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Then, why do so
many people skip it? At the Barn, we don’t skip breakfast because we make it delicious and nutritious. These fluffy buttermilk pancakes loaded with antioxidants are definitely worth rising early for in the morning. Serve with agave nectar or maple syrup.
2 egg whites
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons flaxseeds, ground
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 ½ cup buttermilk, low fat
1/8 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat griddle.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- In a separate bowl combine flours, baking powder, flaxseeds and sea salt.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, canola oil, vanilla extract and agave nectar. Add dry mixture and wet mixture together and stir to combine.
- Gradually fold in blueberries to distribute evenly through the batter.
- Gently fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter by ¼ cups onto hot griddle.
- Cook pancakes until bubbles form on top, about 5 minutes. Turn pancakes over and cook a few minutes longer or until underside is golden. Transfer to plate; keep warm. Repeat until all batter is used.
- Serve hot with maple syrup or agave nectar!
Makes 6 servings (2 pancakes per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 140 calories; 3.5g fat (0g sat fat, 1g mono, 2g poly, 0g trans fats); 0mg cholesterol; 22g carbohydrate (2g fiber, 5g sugar); 5g protein; 125mg sodium;8% DV calcium; 8% DV iron.
– Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.