Chicken Fiesta Fajitas! We use a cinnamon “dry rub” to season this chicken instead of a vegetable oil marinade, to keep saturated fat low and the chicken tasty and tender. Cinnamon is a natural insulin sensitizer, meaning that it helps to keep your blood sugar stable. We use traditional corn tortillas, which are a good source of fiber. Serve this dish loaded with vitamin C with Holy Green Guacamole also in the Appetite for Life book and hasta luego…we have to get to the fiesta!
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 medium green bell pepper
1 medium red bell pepper
1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 2 limes
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease baking sheet.
In bowl, combine cinnamon, salt, and black pepper. Add chicken to bowl with seasonings and toss to coat evenly.
- Place chicken on prepared baking sheet. Bake chicken 25-30 minutes or until no longer pink. Cool slightly, then pull into shreds with 2 forks.
- Meanwhile, slice green and red peppers lengthwise into thin slices. Cut onion in half, then cut each half into thin slices. In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add peppers and onions and cook 7-10 minutes or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and lime juice to skillet with peppers; heat through.
- Spoon chicken mixture into serving bowl. Place tortillas on plates. Let everyone make his or her own fajitas.
Makes 12 servings (1 fajita per serving).
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 310 calories; 6g fat (0g sat fat, 2g mono, 3g poly, 0g trans fat); 35mg cholesterol; 46g carbohydrate (4g fiber, 2g sugar); 17g protein; 160mg sodium; 8% Daily Value (DV) vitamin A; 40% DV vitamin C; 2% DV calcium; 6% DV iron.
This recipe is such a great activity for the whole family and the effort is worth it because the fajitas are so delicious!
How do you marinade your chicken or meat?
– Stacey Antine, MS, RD, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, co-host, Family Food Expert Internet Radio Show, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.