Feta Bean Burgers:
We created this delicious alternative to the veggie burger and it is… a
bean burger! This winning combination of black beans, feta cheese and spices are so good that even the carnivores are requesting seconds! This low fat burger has no cholesterol and is super high in dietary fiber, protein, vitamin A and iron! Serve on whole wheat buns or in your favorite wrap. Our favorite toppings are lettuce, tomato and slices of avocado!
2 (15 ounce) cans, black beans, low sodium
½ medium yellow onion, finely diced
1 egg white
¼ cup Feta Cheese, low fat, crumbled
2 tablespoons, freshly chopped cilantro (or substitute parsley)
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. In a large bowl add black beans and mash beans by hand to get a paste. Add onions, feta cheese, cilantro, paprika, cumin and black pepper and mix well.
2. Add egg white and knead the bean paste well so it’s all blended thoroughly.
3. Shape in 6 patties.
4. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Arrange patties in a single layer (working in batches if needed) and cooking for approximately 5 minutes. Then, flip over and continue cooking another 5 minutes until both sides are golden brown.
5. Place your patties on a serving platter with your choice of toppings, buns or wraps.
Makes 6 servings (1 burger per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 140 calories; 3.5g fat (1g sat fat, 2g mono, 0g poly, 0g trans fats); 0mg cholesterol; 23g carbohydrate (9g fiber, 2g sugar); 8g protein; 380mg sodium; 20% Daily Value (DV) vitamin A; 6% DV vitamin C; 8% DV calcium; 15% DV iron.
– Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.