Pumpkin in our pancakes? Why not! Take advantage of pumpkin season when these large orange fruits, loaded with beta carotene, are easy to find. We used buckwheat flour in this yummy pancake because it’s a rich source of flavonoids (plus it’s edible for people with wheat allergies), and we added ground flaxseeds to provide omega-3 fatty acids. This delicious, vitamin-packed pancake is easy and fun to make with the whole family! Drizzled with pure maple syrup, this recipe is a fall favorite.
1 cup pumpkin, roasted (1 medium-sized pumpkin), or canned, no sugar added
1 Tablespoon sunflower (or canola, walnut, safflower)
1 cup buckwheat flour (or 1/2 cup whole wheat flour & 1/2 cup enriched white flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons ground flaxseeds
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
1½ cup low fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. If roasting pumpkin, preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Cut top of pumpkin, around stem, and remove seeds and stringy insides.
3. Place pumpkin standing upright, drizzle oil inside, and place in oven until softened, for approximately 30-40 minutes.
4. Scoop out pumpkin and set aside.
5. In large bowl, mix buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, flax, salt, and cinnamon.
6. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract to flour mixture, and stir until moistened.
7. Add pumpkin and stir until blended.
8. Place griddle or pan over medium heat and pour about ¼ cup of pancake batter per cake onto griddle. Cook until top is bubbly, flip to other side, and cook until browned.
9. Stack pancakes and serve with your favorite fruit topping!
Makes approximately 7 servings (2 pancakes per serving).
Nutrition Facts per pancake: 80 calories; 3g fat (1g sat fat, 1g mono, 1g poly, 0g trans fats); 30mg cholesterol; 11g carbohydrate (2g fiber, 4g sugar); 3g protein; 270mg sodium; 15% Daily Value (DV)
vitamin A; 2% DV vitamin C; 8% DV calcium; 10% DV iron.
– Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.