Pumpkin Spiced Donuts! It’s fall and stores are overrun with pumpkin bread, muffins and donuts. Despite the allure of added nutrients, these treats are often laden with artificial ingredients and trans fats. Our Pumpkin Spice Donuts are made with REAL pumpkin (making them an excellent source of vitamin A), and warm spices to satisfy that classic fall flavor you’re craving! Dunk these donuts fresh from the oven into herbal tea or a glass of milk.
Kids Can Help! By adding ingredients, mixing, putting batter into baking tin and keeping track of baking time!
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
½ cup canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
½ cup low-fat (1%) milk
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar, divided
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a mini donut baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, flaxseeds, baking powder, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, ginger and allspice.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, milk, ½ cup brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Spoon batter by heaping tablespoons into mini donut pan. In a small bowl, combine remaining ½ teaspoon of cinnamon with remaining tablespoon brown sugar. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture on top of donuts.
- Bake donuts for 9-10 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow donuts to cool before removing from pan.
Makes 9 servings (2 donuts per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 160 calories; 1.5g fat (0g sat fat, 0.5g mono, 1g poly, 0g trans fats); 20mg cholesterol; 32g carbohydrate (2g fiber, 15g sugar); 4g protein; 180mg sodium; 45% Daily Value (DV) vitamin A; 0% DV vitamin C; 6% DV calcium; 10% DV iron.
What’s your favorite pumpkin recipe?
– Stacey Antine, MS, RD, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, co-host, Family Food Expert Internet Radio Show, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.