This delicious baked dessert tastes so indulgent – parents and kids say it’s too good to be healthy! But it contains heart healthy fats so we can have it for dessert or as an after-school snack served with some yogurt.
1½ cups Crunchy Granola with Walnuts (you can eliminate nuts and/or seeds easily, for Granola Recipe, click here)
1 large egg white
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup canola oil
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup seedless raspberry fruit spread
1. Prepare Crunchy Granola with Walnuts as recipe directs and reserve 1½ cups in medium bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8-inch square metal baking pan.
3. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg white, applesauce, and oil.
4. To bowl with granola, add flours, baking powder, and baking soda, and stir to combine.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until blended.
6. Press two-thirds of dough into prepared pan. Spread fruit spread over dough, leaving ½-inch border on all sides. Crumble remaining dough over top.
7. Bake crumble 18-20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Cool on wire rack at least 30 minutes or until fruit spread is no longer runny. Cut into 2-inch squares to serve.
Makes 16 servings (1 square per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 140 calories; 5g fat (0g sat fat, 2g mono, 2g poly, 0g trans fat);
0mg cholesterol; 23g carbohydrate (1g fiber, 14g sugar); 2g protein; 80mg sodium; 2% Daily Value (DV) calcium; 2% DV iron.
– Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.