This truly perfect recipe is one of the all-time favorites at HealthBarn. “It’s so good” says one of our taste-testers, “that you want to eat it again and again!” The tofu reduces the unhealthy saturated fat you’ll find in most frozen dessert bars and makes this a must-have chocolate-y after-school snack. We dressed this recipe up for a recent culinary gathering and the guests gave it a double thumbs up!
3 ounces of semisweet chocolate bar
½ cup silken light tofu, drained
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
5 ripe but firm medium bananas
15 wooden ice cream-bar sticks
1. Roughly chop chocolate bar in small pieces.
2. In metal bowl set over saucepan of simmering water, heat chocolate until it melts, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan; cool chocolate slightly.
3. Meanwhile, line tray with waxed paper; set aside.
4. In food processor, blend tofu until smooth. Add cooled chocolate and vanilla; blend until well mixed.
5. Peel bananas and cut each crosswise into thirds. Insert an ice cream-bar stick, ½ inch deep, in one end of each banana piece.
6. Place chocolate mixture in pie plate. Roll each banana piece in chocolate mixture to lightly coat and eat right away. Or, if not serving right away, freeze immediately for at least 1 hour, then place frozen pops in freezer-weight plastic bag and freeze up to 1 week.
Makes 15 servings (1 pop per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 70 calories; 2g fat (1g sat fat, 0g trans fat); 0mg cholesterol; 13g carbohydrate (1g fiber, 8g sugar); 1g protein; 5mg sodium; 2% Daily Value (DV) vitamin A; 6% DV vitamin C; 2% DV calcium; 8% DV iron.
– Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.