Ready to transform your kitchen into a bagel bakery? You are going to love this whole wheat bagel recipe baked to nutrition perfection. It is super easy to make and one bagel offers an excellent source of fiber, iron and protein… in bagels? You bet with this thumbs up recipe. Season to your taste and bake extra to freeze so that they are always on hand for breakfast or lunch!
1½ cup whole wheat flour
1½ teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons flaxseeds, ground
¾ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup Greek plain non-fat yogurt
1 egg white
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup whole wheat flour, baking powder, flaxseeds and sea salt and mix thoroughly.
3. Add Greek yogurt and mix.
4. Use remaining ½ cup whole wheat flour to knead the dough (approximately 20 times) on a flat surface until the dough does not stick to your hands.
5. Divide dough into 6 even parts; then roll dough and form into a circle (bagel shaped).
6. Fluff egg white with a fork or whisk; then, brush the top of each bagel with the egg white.
7. Top the bagels with seasoning of choice (e.g. sea salt, onion and garlic powder, rosemary, etc).
8. Place bagels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-25 minutes. Turn oven to boil and cook for an additional 2-5 minutes until golden brown and hard to the touch.
Makes 6 bagels (1 bagel per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 170 calories; 2g fat (0g sat fat, 1g mon, 1g poly, 0g trans fat); 0mg cholesterol; 29g carbohydrate (5g fiber, 2g sugar); 10g protein; 190mg sodium; 10% daily value (DV) calcium; 20% DV iron.