Summer means grilling, and grilling means kabobs. Bright citrus flavors and fresh herbs make these shrimp kabobs a warm-weather classic that you’ll be sure to make year after year. The natural citrus juices are loaded with vitamins A and C to keep your immune system in tip-top shape.
8 bamboo skewers
1½ cups water
1 cup jasmine rice
2 medium zucchini (10 ounces each)
2 medium yellow bell peppers
2 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped chives
Juice and grated peel of 1 orange, 1 lemon, and 1 lime
1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 pound large shrimp (about 24), shelled and deveined with tail part of shells left on
¼ cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
1. Soak skewers in water 20 minutes to help prevent burning. In medium saucepan, heat 1½ cups water and rice to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low: cover and simmer 15–20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with fork.
2. Meanwhile, cut each zucchini lengthwise in half, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick half moons. Cut peppers into 1-inch pieces. In medium bowl, toss vegetables with 1 tablespoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper; set aside.
3. In small bowl, mix together mint, basil, and chives. In food processor, blend citrus juice and peel, ginger, garlic, half of herb mixture, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil until pureed. Transfer 2 tablespoons citrus mixture to small serving bowl. Stir in yogurt and set aside.
4. Into medium bowl, pour remaining citrus mixture; stir in 1/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Add shrimp and toss to coat well.
5. Prepare outdoor grill for grilling over medium-high heat. Grease grill grate.
6. Thread shrimp on 4 skewers (discard citrus mixture) and vegetables on remaining skewers, alternating zucchini and yellow peppers.
7. Grill shrimp about 4-5 minutes, turning once or until opaque and vegetables about 10 minutes or until tender-crisp, turning skewers occasionally. Remove shrimp and vegetables from skewers and place on platter.
8. Stir parsley and remaining herb mixture into rice. Spoon rice onto 8 plates; top with shrimp and vegetables. Drizzle with yogurt sauce.
Makes 8 servings (1/2 cup rice, ½ vegetable skewer, and 3 shrimp per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 130 calories; 4g fat (0.5g sat fat, 3g mono, 0.5g poly, 0g trans fats);
35mg cholesterol; 17g carbohydrate (2g fiber, 3g sugar); 7g protein; 65mg sodium; 10% Daily Value (DV) vitamin A; 130% DV vitamin C; 6% DV calcium; 8% DV iron.