Make Tuesdays “taco night” with this easy dinner that is simple and fun to make. Your kids can pitch in chopping and cooking, too! This recipe starts with a homemade taco seasoning that makes the proteins taste delicious. This recipe is an excellent source of vitamins A and C and the mineral iron.
Homemade Taco Seasoning:
¼ cup chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoon coriander
(yields 9 servings of 2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion chopped finely
2 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 pound lean ground turkey
1 cup black beans, canned, low sodium
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
4 corn taco shells
4 teaspoons shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
1. In a small bowl, combine taco seasoning ingredients and set aside.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, add onions and cook until translucent.
2. Add taco seasoning, garlic and oregano to skillet, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. Add turkey and beans and stir occasionally. Cook turkey until slightly pink for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar. Simmer until thickened, about 4 minutes.
5. Divide mixture evenly among tacos and serve with cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce and cherry tomato toppings.
Makes 4 servings (1 taco per serving)
Nutrition Facts per serving: 290 calories; 7g fat (1g sat fat, 0g trans fat); 45mg cholesterol; 24g carbohydrate (3g fiber, 10g sugar); 32g protein; 380mg sodium; 25% Daily Value (DV) vitamin A; 30% DV vitamin C; 10% DV calcium; 20% DV iron.
– Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.