Prem Ji’s Miso Soup: Miso soup is equivalent to chicken soup for the soul for the Japanese except our version is made with so much love (prem)! All of the ingredients from the seaweeds to the mushrooms to the daikon radishes are loaded with vitamins and minerals essential for the body! If you are skeptical about miso paste because it’s high in sodium, don’t be. Not all varieites of this fermentated delicacy are created equally. Go with the mellow white version and flavor this soup up without any guilt. Serve with brown rice to make it even more hearty!
3-inch Kombu seaweed
1/4 cup dried sliced Shiitake mushrooms
6 cups water
1/4 cup Wakame seaweed leaves
½ cup Daikon radish, thinly sliced in sticks (1 1/4 inch)
¼ cup celery, thinly sliced
½ cup firm Tofu, small cubes (1/2 inch)
1 scallion, finely chopped
1 cup cauliflower florets (chopped)
4 1/2 tablespoons miso paste, mellow white
- In large bowl filled with warm water, soak kombu seaweed, shiitake mushrooms for 20-30 minutes until mushrooms are soft. Drain and chop mushrooms into smaller pieces.
- In large stock pot, add Kombu, mushrooms and water bring to a boil over high heat for 5 minutes; then simmer.
- Add wakame seaweed, radish, celery, tofu, scallions and cauliflower into pot and return to boil, then let simmer for 15 minutes covered.
- To prepare miso paste. Place miso in a bowl and add ¼ cup broth. Mix until it makes a paste.
- Take soup off flame and add miso paste. Mix well. Let sit for 2-3 minutes covered; then serve.
8 servings (1 cup per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 60 calories; 1g fat ( 0g sat fat, 0.5g mono, 0.5g poly, 0g trans fats); 0mg cholesterol; 8g carbohydrate (3g fiber, 2g sugar); 5g protein; 350mg sodium; 2% Daily Value (DV) vitamin A; 15% DV vitamin C; 4% DV calcium; 10% DV iron.
What veggies do you put in your miso soup?
– Stacey Antine, MS, RD, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, co-host, Family Food Expert Internet Radio Show, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.