Looking for a quick healthy snack idea? Date-licious Energy Balls are a top pick at HealthBarn and a fun hands-on activity for children! Made with only five ingredients, these delicious energy balls pack a nutritious punch! Place all the ingredients into the food processor, and enlist your children to start rolling the mixture to form their healthy snack in minutes.
1 cup dates, pitted
1½ cups rolled oats
¼ cup flaxseeds, ground
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a food processor, finely blend 1 cup of pitted dates.
- Once dates are well blended, add 1½ cup of oats and blend together well.
- Add flaxseeds, agave nectar, and chocolate chips and blend.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of mixture and roll into a ball (Wear gloves or dip your fingers in water to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands) and place baking try lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat process until all the mixture is gone.
- Place tray in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes or up to an hour.
- Serve and store any extras in a closed container refrigerated for up to 3-5 days.
Makes 12 servings (1 ball per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 150 calories; 2.5g fat (0.5g sat fat, 1g mono, 1g poly, 0g trans fats); 0 mg cholesterol; 29g carbohydrate 4g fiber, 13g sugar); 4g protein; 0g sodium; ; 2% Daily Value (DV) calcium; 6% DV iron.
– Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.