Our sweet and savory salsa is so colorful that you have to wear sunglasses to check it out! We love making this recipe with the super fruits — tomatoes and pineapples — because it tastes so good and gives us a turbo boost of vitamin C. Serve it in a colorful bowl and play some fun “salsa” music—have a great time…we always do.
½ fresh pineapple, peeled, cut crosswise into 1-inch thick slices
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/3 inch cubes
2 medium tomatoes, cut into cubes
½ purple onion, finely diced
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped (or cilantro)
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1 pinch of salt
- In large bowl, toss pineapple, ½ tablespoon oil, honey and turmeric.
- In a medium pan, sauté pineapple over medium heat for 10 minutes (5 minutes on each side) or until golden brown.
- Chop pineapple, including core, into 1/3 inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix pineapple (about 2½ cups) with remaining 1½ tablespoons oil, yellow pepper, tomatoes, onion, parsley, lime juice and salt.
- Let stand at room temperature for approximately 15 minutes.
- Serve with whole grain chips or for leftovers, cover and refrigerate for one hour and up to one day.
Makes approximately 10 servings (½ cup per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 70 calories; 3g fat (0g sat fat, 2g mono, 1g poly, 0g trans fat); 0mg cholesterol; 11g carbohydrate (1g fiber, 7g sugar); 1g protein; 30mg sodium; 6% Daily Value (DV) vitamin A; 110% DV vitamin C; 2% DV calcium; 4% DV iron.
– Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.