This plant-based protein recipe will quickly become a favorite in your home to boost good nutrition for the whole family! The delicious aroma has children giving this meal a thumbs up whether you serve it by as is or topped over pasta or brown rice. This high fiber meal is so satisfying high in protein, high in healthy fats, and loaded with vitamin C, and minerals calcium and iron. Enjoy!
1 Tablespoon olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow onion, medium, finely diced
6 tomatoes, medium, diced
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 can (15-ounces) low-sodium chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
½ cup water
¼ cup basil, fresh, chopped
¼ cup parsley, fresh, chopped
¼ cup oregano, fresh, chopped
Served over brown rice or whole wheat penne pasta
- In a medium saucepan, sauté garlic over medium heat until golden brown; then, add the onions sauté until translucent.
- Slowly start to add tomatoes, spread them evenly in the pan, and bring to a boil. Add water and salt, reduce heat to simmer and cover for 10-15 minutes to cook down.
- Add chickpeas and stir them into the tomato mixture to evenly distribute. Add basil, parsley and oregano to mixture evenly, cover and cook on simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice or whole wheat penne pasta.
Makes 4 serving (1 cup per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 210 calories; 5g fat (0.5g sat fat,1g poly fat, 3g mono fat, 0g trans fat) ; 0mg cholesterol; 180mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g fiber, 8g sugar); 8g protein; 15% Daily Value (DV) vitamin A, 10% DV calcium, 80% DV vitamin C, 10% DV iron.
– Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.