When Stacey travels to Italy to visit her family, she always looks forward to simple, delicious family recipes. The key ingredients are whole foods combined to make satisfying, nutritious dishes that create hands-on family fun! This whole wheat pizza dough will take your Friday night pizza nights to a new level. This dough is easy to make and delicious to eat. Simply stretch it out by hand in a pan and use toppings to make your own culinary creation. Mangia!
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon honey
1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour + extra for dusting
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1. In small bowl, combine warm water, yeast and honey. Stir to dissolve. Let sit for 3-5 minutes to make sure that yeast mixture foams and starts to bubble.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours and sea salt. Gradually add the yeast mixture to the dry mixture and combine with your hands to form a dough ball. Once formed, drizzle one teaspoon of olive oil to coat the ball evenly. Then, place a dry cloth towel over the top and let sit in a warm place for one hour or until it has doubled in size.
3. Knead down the dough and allow the dough to proof for an additional one hour.
4. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
5. Remove the dough from the bowl, and spread out in the baking tray. Stretch, push, and poke the dough until it reaches the edges of the baking dish, with a bumpy and textured surface.
6. Top the dough with your choice of sauce, cheese, and veggie toppings. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden-brown. Cut into 20 slices and enjoy!
Makes 20 servings (1 slice per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving (Dough Only): 50 calories; 0g fat (0g sat fat, 0g mono, 0g poly, 0g trans fat); 0mg cholesterol; 11g carbohydrate (1g fiber, 0g sugar); 2g protein; 60mg sodium; 4% Daily Value (DV) iron.